Tattoos, Faith and Memories

Kwweesten
It has been seven years since my grandma passed away. Going into high school, I not only had to grow up but say goodbye to a really important person in my life as well. It was hard enough dealing with the upset, let alone going through the notions just to get through school. But I found a way to cope, knowing she’s happier where she is – no longer in pain from being sick. Ever since she left, I always thought of new ways to cherish her memory. But the things I made along the way got lost or ruined throughout the years.

Going into college, we lived right up the road from a tattoo shop, “Paradise Lost.” Something about this place always caught my eye and that’s when I started to think about getting a tattoo for her as one last permanent memory. But the problem was, I had no idea what I wanted to get and I needed it to be perfect.

It wasn’t until last summer that I was rummaging through an old shoebox of letters that I found what I was looking for. My jaw nearly dropped when I found a letter my grandma wrote to me while I was on a sixth grade field trip, away from home for a week. It was then that I realized this is exactly what I needed to find to carry her with me forever.

As I read over the letter once, twice, three times, I cried knowing exactly where I was when I opened this envelope the first time. It wasn’t just the letter; it was one line that stuck out from all the rest, “Gee, it’s quiet without you.” That’s when I knew; this was going to be the ultimate gratification for me. I was going to get this tattoo in her handwriting, exactly the way she wrote it.

So I pinned the letter onto my wall and I read it everyday as I pictured where I wanted this tattoo to go. I waited months after months as I envisioned the way it was going to look. And even when my parents thought I’d forget about it in time, I still wanted this tattoo after waiting an entire year.

Yesterday was the day I finally went to make my appointment – crossing my fingers that I would be put with Chris Haas, a well-known tattoo artist. As I walked in, I was greeted immediately and was overcome with excitement all of a sudden. After I handed the woman my letter, she looked at me in awe and told me what I a great idea this was. I smiled back at her and waited for the man in the back to make a copy and possibly sketch it out. I was really hoping I could fit the appointment in sometime this month but I knew this guy was busy so I didn’t bother to cross my fingers.

Once again I was wrong when I heard the man come back out and say, “Do you have time to do it right now? His appointment for today didn’t show up.” That’s when everything came together and I knew she came with me for this tattoo. I honestly believed that she approved of this and this was her way of showing it. And with that, I walked up the narrow stairs into Chris’ room and took on the pain of a tattoo on the ribs. But for my grandma it was worth it and I knew that because when he was finished and I looked in the mirror, I fell in love with a brand new memory of a piece of my life I’ll never forget.

I also shared this story on my blog:
www.Joyousdarling.wordpress.com
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Lovely tribute to your grandmother! Thank you for sharing. This post has been chosen to feature on Stage of Life's Facebook page.
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:58:38 PM
Comment by Kwweesten

Thank you!
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:15:34 PM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p