Holding On To Happy Days

MariaRose
One of my favorite TV shows is about two decades older than I. The cast was on its second televised reunion by the time I was born. I posted these thoughts about Happy Days here because I know they will resonate far more with those who grew up with or had children that watched the series the first time around. This teenager saw her first episode while home sick in 8th grade; with the help of her DVR she was soon hooked.

Happy Days was an idealistic, altruistic show that aimed to be what would never air now –a clean, cute story of a family in the 1950s. There were no plotlines about what Marion and Howard were doing in bed or skeletons in the Cunningham closet. (However, on reflection, one does wonder whatever happened to oldest brother Chuck, who appeared sporadically in the first season and then disappeared entirely, never to be referenced again.) Vaporizing eldest sibling aside, however, Richie and Joanie grew up in a loving home surrounded by friends like Potsie, Jenny Piccolo and eventually Chachi and Lori Beth, with the Fonz always there to guide the pair through the rough patches with his infallible sense of cool.

Life, alas, is not like Happy Days. Problems are not solved neatly in half an hour segments, and you can’t hit a piece of malfunctioning technology in just the right spot to make it work again. People get hurt or sick and don’t get better, relationships get strained and never repaired, and the awful events that sometimes mar our lives don’t have a clear reason or message behind them. Whenever a character on Happy Days faces an obstacle, it’s a means to an end –Fonzie temporarily going blind brings a message of perseverance, Richie developing a drinking problem displays the public issue of alcoholism, and Fonzie jumping over a shark highlights the dangers of horrific television writing. But whether or not they are related to water skiing and a pair of shorts so small they probably should have been censored, such tragedies do happen in real life, and when they do it’s not nearly as easy to find a rationale behind them.

But maybe that’s why we have Happy Days in the first place, to forget about our real-life, messy, non-sitcom problems. Maybe that’s why American culture has loved and held a place for Howard, Marion, Richie, Joanie and the mysteriously evaporating Chuck since their incarnation –the literal Cunninghams and the others they take in create an ideal portrait of a family, traditional or otherwise.

It’s been a while since I watched Happy Days. I tend to watch more complex, dark comedy now, with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert slowly edging out the Cunninghams. But when I am need of a lift or simply feel I cannot handle another day of the world falling apart, I head faithfully to my DVR to rewatch a favorite adventure of Richie and Fonzie. I am well aware that these episodes are not realistic portrayals of everyday existence, and that real family life is going to be just as complicated as real teenage life. But every once and a while I allow myself to withhold my sense of reality and believe that someday I'll have some Happy Days of my own.
Comment by Suzanne

MariaRose,

I too enjoyed watching Happy Days, but while it was actually being broadcast on TV. Even then, it was a wonderful escape from everyday life. I We wanted to be witty like Richie or cool like the Fonz. And of course we wanted to have parents like Marion and Howard. It was a great night to gather the family around the television. There are very few shows today that I would dare watch with my 22 year old, and never with a teenager. Escapism has taken on a whole new meaning in today's society, with Desperate Housewives and the Kardashian's leading the ratings. Unfortunately, those shows and others like them are shaping reality for some teenager's world. Can you imagine some teenager saying "I hope to be a housewife just like her someday?"

Great story. Thanks for sharing
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 1:56:36 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

My boyfriend and I were watching Happy Days last night. I am also hooked on The Brady Bunch and the creative spin-off found On Demand, "What was Carol Brady Thinking?"

Nice essay!
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:38:06 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the Grandparents life stage winner for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:15:37 PM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p