Dusty Rose

Lucy Marie
A soft, sweet summer breeze sweeps over the path, as her shimmering golden locks fly behind her and she toddles after a puppy.
With her bright, exquisite sundress blowing in the wind and her dainty little baby toes padding on the cold, hard packed earth, not even noticing how hard and cold it is, and only seeing the true beauty around her.
She stops long enough to smell an auspicious, boastful flower, when a bright, red, luminescent berry catches her eye. She plucks it off the vine and bites down as red juice covers her tiny chin.
She is a piece of artwork coming to life.
She runs as fast as her chubby little legs will carry her, until they can carry no more. She finds me sitting under a massive oak tree; she falls into my arms.
I wrap my warm arms around her small body and surround her with things that reality doesn’t always give, such as: love, hope, peace of mind, joy, and happiness.
I sing a lullaby in a low, soft whisper like the sound of grass blowing in the wind. Her sparkling sapphire blue eyes are tiny little butterflies disappearing behind clouds and being enshrouded in dreams of hope and love.
A piece of artwork lost in the dust and shadows and no one notices the true beauty of those works of art.
This is a Rose.
Beautiful, but dangerous. Thorns that can hurt you if observed too closely; but with such true beauty that is lost to so many who only pay attention to how cold and hard packed the path is and how sharp the sting of the thorns are.
But if taken at a gentle approach, you can see the beauty that mostly only little children see.
This is a Rose, a Rose that represents Life.

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p