My Thoughts on Newtown: Secure Our First Line of Defense

readarose
A pall fell over our country just weeks before Christmas when twenty innocent victims, some no older than ten, lost their lives in yet another senseless shooting. Over the last few years, I’ve asked myself time and again, when did this violence begin…and more importantly, why? For me, growing up took place in a simpler, gentler time. School and safety were synonymous. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons I became a teacher. I always loved school!
Over the years, I witnessed our schools become targets of violence. Six years ago, I moved from middle to elementary school. Imagine my surprise when I found myself hiding under a table during a “lock-down”, just a few weeks into the new school year. Although, statistically there is little chance of an attack, too many recent episodes like the killings at Newtown have robbed teachers and students of the sense of security and safety they once associated with school. Now the question is, what are we going to do about it.
The recent recession and resultant economy have translated to huge cuts in school district budgets throughout the country. Often, one of the first groups of employees to lose their jobs are school counselors and psychologists. At first glance, it appears an easy fix. People in positions of authority rationalize and act on the belief that these people are expendable. Let’s look again. Who is the first line of defense against youngsters with mental health issues? Oftentimes, these individuals come from families that have neither the insight nor the resources to realize that counseling of some kind is essential. In the classroom environment, anti-social issues often surface. With an adequate support team in place, teachers can make a referral and that individual student can begin to receive counseling services. Obviously, there is a protocol in place that involves talking with not only the students, but parents and other adults who have regular interactions with the troubled student. Typically, at least one meeting occurs and parents, along with other school personnel, brainstorm ideas and develop an action plan to support the struggling student.
Consider how valuable this collaborative approach can be. All of a sudden a youngster who is struggling benefits from a group of adults committed to offering support. Additionally, the family of this student now has access to professionals that can offer practical suggestions, guidance, and support. The mental health professionals that work in our schools, along with teachers, school nurses, and administrators are the nation’s first line of defense against subsequent attacks. This is NOT where we want to reduce school budgets. Let’s get our heads out of the sand and our priorities in place before we eliminate the very people who are trained to stop violence before it starts.
Submitted by Readarose
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as the winner of our "Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting?" January writing contest for the Grandparents life stage. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:38:24 PM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p