My Wish

BobbiJoEisenreich
I grew up wanting an older brother or sister. Sandy may have received a list or two from me with the ask of an older sibling. Even though Santa was a good friend of mine, he never brought me a sibling. He brought me everything else on my list. If only he would have brought me a sibling, he would have been my hero.

It wasn’t meant to be. No one ever told me I wouldn’t or couldn’t have an older sibling. When I was old enough I figured that out all by myself. The topic of a sibling for me no longer comes up. I don’t know why my parents considered one child enough and at this point in my life, it no longer matters.

My mom is the oldest of three and my dad is the oldest of seven. They graduated in June, 1964, were married in October, 1964 and guess who was born in April, 1965? My dad went into the United States Air Force after graduation. Money or the lack of it may have something to do with the size of our family.

Mom and Dad married years before their siblings did. When cousins were born, I was much older than any of them. I have an aunt two years older than me and another aunt two years younger than me. The age difference between me and my cousins was too large to overcome when we were younger. Sadly, it’s no different today. Alone in my immediate family and alone in my extended family.

Growing up without siblings wasn’t all gloom and doom. With both parents working full-time, money was more readily available to buy the things others I went to school with could only dream of. We went on vacations. No exotic destinations but I still saw places and attractions others did not have the means to see. My parents decided to take a vacation to Florida; we packed our suitcases and started driving south. It was still dark and the snow had started when we reached Milwaukee, Wisconsin. As far as I know, that trip was planned that night in the bar. Crazy!

Unfortunately some bad came along with the good and fun. I was labeled spoiled. Parents of my friends forbid them from playing with me. They feared their daughters from playing with me. They feared their daughters would want everything that I had. How dare those parents treat me as though I had some contagious illness? They didn’t take the time to get to know me.

Would I still have been labeled spoiled if I had a sibling? Honestly, I don’t believe I would have. There was so much emphasis put on me being an only child and that being the reason I was spoiled. It’s important to remember that when I was growing up in the late 1960’s, early 1970’s people were still having multiple children. It was so not like today where having one child or no children are more the norm.

I learned an important life lesson during my spoiled period; never judge someone by what is on their exterior or as the saying goes, “don’t judge a book by its cover.”

Something else I learned that really didn’t come full circle until my oldest daughter applied for financial aid is that kids do not always benefit from having hard working parents. With both my parents working, we had the means to live comfortable. Disadvantage – Bobbi Jo is spoiled. Me and my husband both work and have the means to live comfortably. Disadvantage – Eisenreich girls do not qualify for grants and are overlooked at scholarship time. It’s ok though; I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I grew up fairly quick as a result of the things, people, and places I was exposed to. I remember many times being told how mature I was for my age. With that presumed maturity came responsibility and opportunity. Responsibility and opportunity would have eventually come to me if I’d had a sibling, but not as soon as they did without a sibling. The responsibility I felt years ago will not come close to the responsibility I am anticipating as my parents’ age. Decisions regarding their care will fall solely on me. Maybe having a sibling would relieve some of the responsibility but then again, maybe not. What if my sibling didn’t want to share healthcare responsibilities? I see other families go through those issues; even families with several children. It will be me bearing the responsibility of my parents as they age. Hopefully my husband will be supportive and lend a hand when I need him to.

I have convinced myself that had I grown up with a sibling, I would be someone else. My personality would be different. I doubt I’d be an introvert as I am today. I would have had someone to talk to. It’s very possible and more likely probably we wouldn’t have been best friends. Even if we didn’t get along most times, there would have been times when we were buddies and there for each other.

There are times when I wish I could talk to someone who is living what I am living. A sibling would be perfect. My options are limited; my husband, my girls, or a friend. It’s heartbreaking for me to trust someone with my thoughts only to watch them run the other way. I don’t believe a sibling would do that. Could that be why I have trouble trusting people?
Comment by shamaker

Oh, you're not alone:) While I have older siblings, they are much older (11, 13 and 15 years older than me), so I grew up like an only child for most of my childhood. Then my parents decided to become foster parents, and our home was filled with children of all ages over the years.

Embrace your life because it's yours, and God gave it to you for a purpose. Enjoy your place in your family, because no one else can ever fit that space like you can.

You might never know why you were an only child, but you can live your life as if it doesn't matter.
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:14:39 AM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p