A Precious Moment

Robin
The curtain was drawn around his cubicle to give the elusion of privacy. Dad laid on the bed waiting for the nurse to take him to surgery. He told me, his favorite (and only) daughter, that if he didn't make it through surgery, that he had done almost everything that he wanted to do. I heard the word almost and asked, "What is the one thing that you haven't done?" We made our deal --- If he made it through surgery and got well enough to travel, I would take him half way across the world to Manchester, England to see his favorite soccer team play in their home stadium.

He was almost 80 years old then, and honestly I never thought we would take that trip, but a year later, he was well enough to go. This was definitely a miracle because no one, not even his doctors, thought that he would recover.

I kept my promise and we flew to England. He visited a castle, watched what he considered "real" soccer on local tv, and at dinner we sat across from one another with no interruptions, no competing siblings or spouses, and had wonderful deep, meaningful conversations. I learned about his childhood and about his marriage to my mother and he asked me about his skills as a father. I had no idea he wondered if he had done a good enough job.

A few days into the trip, we boarded the train with all the other crazy and loud Manchester United fans who were singing and swaying, and we went to the game. As he sat in the bleachers, tears streaming down his cheeks, he told me this was a dream come true. His team won, the icing on the cake!

Dad is now 86 years old and I feel blessed for every moment that I have with him. I believe in that one precious moment back on the table waiting for surgery, both of our lives were forever changed.

A wonderful game--life, and a wonderful post. Thank you for writing about it.
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:54:58 PM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p