Newtown: Everybody Take a Breath

shamaker
The tragic shooting at the Newtown school has unleashed a firestorm of controversy, from gun control to mental health services to school security measures. With three children at our local public elementary, I urge everyone to slow down.

We as Americans hit the ground running to change whatever might have triggered a tragedy without taking the time to think clearly and calmly about whether or not something really needs to be fixed.

We might need to re-examine our gun control laws, but what we don't need is a slapped-together response to an emotional incident.

We might need to re-evaluate school security, but we don't need to shove guns into the hands of teachers because we're scared.

We might need to re-consider how we treat mental illness in this country, but we don't need to start viewing those struggling with mental health issues as potential killers.

We do need to remember the victims and their families and to not blame the shooter's family for not stopping him. Blame like that serves no one but to make us feel justified in our anger at the situation.

We do need to stop thinking in "if onlys," and start thinking about what, if any, solutions might be needed.

We do need to not over-react, but to take a step back, gain some perspective and distance so that we can make decisions that will actually make sense a month from now, a year from now.

Everyone wants things done yesterday, but we should implore our school officials, our congressional representatives, and our law enforcement leaders to take a breath before taking the next step.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p