My thoughts on Newton: A time to refocus on life

Krissie
As a mother and teacher, I have had a difficult time trying to get my head and heart around the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings. For me, the most challenging part has been trying to understand how such an evil act could prevail against our most vulnerable, our most beautiful, and our most cherished. Those twenty six and seven year olds went to school that December day thinking only of the pictures they would draw, the stories they would read, the games they would play, and the Christmas they would soon celebrate. But because of someone's fit of madness or evil, their lives and future here in this world were destroyed. It is enough to nauseate any parent to the core.

Without question God did not cause or by any means desire the death of His precious creations, and I firmly believe they are singing hymns beside Him in the highest point in heaven. But for the rest of us left behind who have to confront the darkness under which they left us, the big question remains: why did He permit it?

As I've pondered this question, I've been reminded of perhaps the most profound Catholic writer of her time, the late Flannery O'Connor. I was introduced to O'Connor's writings in college, and immediately there was something about her work that drew me in. Her stories typically entailed strange (often classified as grotesque) characters engaging in common day occurrences that take a tragic, and often dark, turn for the worse. Whether it be the idle vagrant who cons a mother into giving him the family's car only to abandon the mother's deaf and mentally challenged daughter at a roadside lunch counter or the escaped convict who is almost spiritually saved by a hypocritical grandmother just moments before he rejects that salvation and kills her and her entire family, her stories jolt readers into searching for the purpose behind the gravest of events. And that purpose, according to various O'Connor scholars, is typically to highlight through an unspeakable and exaggerated storyline the spiritual evil that lurks more commonly around us--as well as the grace we often reject to combat it.

In a sense this tragedy is an O'Connor story come to life. The most horrific unimaginable event has been placed in front of us, but why? What are we failing to do everday--spiritually speaking--as a nation that would in any way contribute to the meaningless taking of the most precious human lives?

The answer, I think, is in the American lackadaisicle attitude toward the dignity of life. We were founded as a country of people made in the image of God, and as such, we fostered a certain respect for all human life. And that respect was intended to underscore the protection of our individual liberties. But over time we've continued to protect our individual liberties without reference to the dignity of God's creation.

We assist women in killing their babies in the womb, the most precious and vulnerable of human life, because a pregnancy would somehow infringe upon their worldly pursuits. We turn a blind eye to the poor on the street because we do not believe they deserve something better. We allow television to fill our young people's minds with portrayals of teenagers who dismiss their parents and stereotype adults as unuseful rather than purposeful. We place our elderly, the wisest in society, in nursing homes when they simply eat up too much of our time. And the list goes on. The truth is we have been actively chipping away at the human person for decades and stand shocked when we are confronted with a horrific manifestation of this attitude.

As we move forward as a nation, we need to get back to the essential building blocks of our society: the God-given life. We must foster the kind of thinking and behavior that treats every one of us as significant and meaningful--whether it be at the beginning, middle, or end of life.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as the winner of our "Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting?" January writing contest for the Raising a Family life stage. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:36:33 PM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p