Why Don’t We Play With Our Kids?

azabinsky
It’s a few days after Christmas and the playplace is swarming with parents and children. I’ve been here a few times before and it has, in fact, never been so busy. The layout of the facility is thrilling for kids. Numerous “pretend” areas all have their own sections: a supermarket, a veterinary office, a fire station, a costume shop, a bakery, etc. The back is filled with an indoor playground, complete with pretend tree house and twisty slide. Toys and play equipment litter the space and the center of the enormous room is lined with benches. I sigh inwardly at the crowd and move forward, my four-year-old in hand, her eyes big and excited voice lost in the din of children running and screaming.

We start off in the supermarket section, one of my daughter’s favorites. She stands behind a child-sized counter and I pick out some choice groceries from the shelves, first putting them in a minute shopping cart and then passing them to her so she can check them out for me. Around us, children mill in and out, some stopping to look for a moment, some grabbing fake food out of other’s hands, a few standing behind the counter with my daughter over at a second cash register, gazing about, looking for someone they can check out. I frown as I look around because the fact of the matter is that most of the other parents who have brought their children here are, literally, “checked out”. For the most part, they pack the benches, sedentary, in various states of distraction. A number are absorbed in their smartphones, furiously punching the screens or staring intensely as if searching for the meaning of life. Others are wrapped in deep conversation, seeming oblivious to the outside world. I observe as one father send his young son off towards the playground with a few pats on the shoulder before he parks himself on the floor, plugs a pair of Bose headphones into his phone, pops them over his ears, and closes his eyes. My unease is furthered as I see a child across the room, no more than a year, tottering around on unsteady legs screaming, “Mama, mama,” with no adult in sight.

While this is not all parents; it is not me and it might certainly not be you, the fact of the matter is that the majority of parents I see when I am out and about with my own child are like this: disconnected, unplugged, checked out. I cannot reconcile a culture where it is preferable to ignore your children than to attend to them, where the norm seems to rest in satisfying a parent’s own agenda before a child’s most basic needs—love and attention—where the “cool” thing is to socialize with your friends while your combined children occupy themselves, or to read a magazine while your child desperately tries to show you something they’ve built with legos, but you need them to just hold on for a minute while you finish the article you’re reading about Channing Tatum. I have far too often seen children fall, children fight, children search hopelessly for some interaction while their parents stand on the sidelines and do nothing. I have observed countless children, far too young to be out of arm’s reach, wandering on their own, misbehaving, or begging a stranger (myself) for attention. I cannot tell you the number of times someone else’s child has come and asked me to do something with them, or to look at something they’ve made, or if they can be involved in a game that I am playing with my daughter. Often, this child’s parent is within earshot and seems comforted that someone else is relieving them of their duty as a parent.

I believe that all parents need a break. I believe that there is a time and place to engage your cell phone, to chat with friends, to read a magazine. And yes, taking your child to some amazing and wonderful place that you may even have had to pay to get into might be, to some, the perfect opportunity to reprieve yourself of the sometimes overwhelming responsibility of parenting. In my experience, however, the frequency with which parents are taking this “me time” is disturbing, and the setting inappropriate. Don’t people want to spend time with their children, to bond with them during critical years and moments of development—to be a role model that their children look up to—to instill a sense of safety, pride, security and attentiveness? Having taught both middle and high school, I know that a time will come soon enough when my daughter will be more interested in her friends than me, when schoolwork and the pressures of growing up will consume more and more of the carefree and fun moments we enjoy together. I make it a conscious point to try and appreciate every moment we are able to spend with each other and to infuse in those times as much quality as possible. This is not to say that my daughter is constantly attached to my hip. As a working mother, my child goes to preschool five days a week for a full day. My husband and I go out alone monthly. As my schedule allows, I socialize with other mothers and old friends: sometimes with our children in tow, sometimes without. My nails may not always be newly polished, my hair not always freshly cut, but do I get around to those things on at least a semi-frequent basis. I go shopping. I clean my house. But my focus is on building lasting memories with my family: on creating a rich foundation and depth of experience that everyone can look back on. I am not a perfect parent, not by far, and none of us are, but I cannot understand, why, why do we not play with our children?

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p