Be The Change: Focusing on the Future

Britttany_maria
The days were getting longer--the anticipation of receiving a phone call from Polinsky Childrens Center; a 24-hour facility for the temporary emergency shelter of children who must be separated from their families for their own safety, or when parents cannot provide care, was getting the best of me. One of the most heartfelt moments I have ever shared with my mom, Ruth, was when she looked at me and said, “It’s time to go pick them up, hurry!” That was before we both held Lizbeth in our arms; at the moment I felt an immense feeling of responsibility and instantaneous love. Weeks prior to receiving this phone call, I was struggling with different aspects in my life, family was there but never an aspect that I completely understood. For the past year and a half prior to this phone call my mother, Ruth and father, Charles had submitted several documents to become adoptive parents. The closest they ever came with the process was with temporarily taking care of children, until the children’s case was closed. That’s where Angelina age of 5, David age of 2, and Lizbeth 11 months old came into my life. These three magnificent children won my heart over from the moment I gave each one of them a hug. The reason why they were in Polinsky, was the case of an abusive father and a terrified mother that was worried for the well being of her children. The details to the case are ones that melt the heart and bring tears to one’s eyes; fortunately these kids were safe at last. I viewed the future as promising, as things stood, the aspect of family wasn’t very clear to me, I figured that with the presence of these children, all four of us could subtly and not so subtly figure it out together. As hoped, the meaning of family became evident. In my opinion, family isn’t just blood related; moreover family is who you can bare your soul to, who will be near your side for the good and the bad. Looking back now, the best months of my life as an adolescent were the months with these three enlightening children. The experience and understanding I developed towards the deeper meaning of family through foster care has influenced me to pursue opportunities where I can interact with foster children. The following New Year I plan on volunteering at Polinsky and closely interacting with their featured program, “Promises2Kids.” The program advocates programs focusing on Prevention & Advocacy, Protection & Support, and Education & Training. How I plan to be the Change in 2013 is beginning at a local level, spreading the word and influencing others into joining programs that would benefit an entire community over time.
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

Thank you for sharing your story, Brittany. What a beautiful way to be the "change" in 2013.

Good luck!

Nicole L. V. Mullis
Raising a Family Editor
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:11:16 AM

Awesome post! I think it's great how this personal experience has set your goals to help and guide others!

Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life

Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:53:05 AM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p