Dear Peanut: "I Hope you Never Know"

melcol92
My sweet little peanut,
It’s funny, we started calling you that because you were so tiny that you barely fit into “premie” clothes and size one diapers. We have come a long way from those days and you are growing beautifully. In these first two years of life you have shown more drive and determination than some people show in a lifetime. Your "limitations" and the label doctors have placed on you have not been able to define you because somehow you push through and keep on defying odds. You are a hero. Mommy and Daddy are so proud.
You are sure to face more uphill battles this year. There are going to be countless therapy sessions, endless miles to visit specialists, and some days seeing children run around in the supermarket as I push you in your wheelchair will be just enough to break my heart.
It is on those days that I pray you never know. I hope you never know that some days Mommy isn't super woman. I hope I can ease your pain without showing you mine. I pray that I can remain strong and smile through the ignorance of people's stares or the brazen questions they ask as we wait in line at the grocery store.
In 2014, I hope you remain blissfully unaware of how cruel the world can be so that you can be confident and happy, never realizing that you are working so hard for what comes naturally to most of those around you.
I am afraid that you will become aware that children all around you are walking, running, and speaking while you remain trapped within your body fighting against it for some kind of control. I am terrified that this will cause you unhappiness and I will be left powerless.
Or maybe I am even more afraid that you will realize against this diagnosis I am already powerless, that I cannot fix every “owie” or “booboo” with a kiss and a cuddle. That you will discover some things in life are not so simple, or that sometimes life is simply not fair.
One day you will realize that other kids are playing while you are learning to chew in feeding therapy, or struggling to sit on your own in physical therapy. I guess, I just hope 2014 is not the year of that realization. Then again, maybe I also still hope 2014 might be the year we prove all the doctors wrong and you sit unsupported, or take a few steps or say out loud “I want _____ Mama” without a communication device.
No matter the outcome little Peanut, Mommy will be here. We will dance happily to our own little tune on the good days. On the bad days, Mommy will wipe the tears from your cheeks and if I cry some tears of my own, I hope you never know.
I love you more than anything.

Love, Mommy

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your “Dear Peanut” January 2014: Hopes and Fears essay being selected as our Adult Stages first place winner.

Be proud of your accomplishment!

We will be contacting you via your registration email to give you details about your prizes.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and keep writing.

Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 5:43:01 PM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p