Changing providers at 24 weeks pregnant

Megan_R
At my last check-up at the OB-GYN practice I had been using, the midwife I was primarily working with told me that she wouldn't be there for my delivery.

"Vacation?" I asked. She shook her head. No, not vacation - she was leaving the practice.
"Why? Where are you going?" She explained that she was leaving to work at a more midwife friendly hospital. More midwife friendly? I immediately started asking question.

The practice I had been using consisted of four midwives and two OB-GYNs. I knew that there was a chance that "my' midwife might not attend my delivery. However, once she was leaving, she felt that she could be more candid about the practices of the hospital I would be delivering in. It sounded very much like the last hospital I delivered in - quick to administer Pitocin to speed up labor, more than happy to give you an epidural, making you lay in bed while they monitor the (unnaturally strong because of Pit) contractions, use of forceps, and other red-flags. I left that appointment feeling defeated. I am strong, and well-educated about patients rights. I could very well fight to have the birth that I want, but why should I? Why should I have to check and double check that my rights aren't being violated? Shouldn't I have some say? Having a child is not an illness - it's a perfectly natural thing that doesn't need to be medicated or messed with!

I told J that enough was enough - I wanted a home birth! I wanted one to begin with, but always figured it would be too expensive, or the midwives wouldn't travel out as far as we are. Well, there was only one way to find out! I started emailing people, and finally got the name of a local midwife, Deb. We emailed back and forth a bit, and after having to reschedule because of an ice storm, we met for a consultation.

Her office is a bit of a drive for us (about an hour) but it's cute and cozy! I fell in love with her almost instantly! We were scheduled for a half hour, but ended up staying a full hour! She had great answers for all of our questions, and we discovered that it's cheaper to have a home birth, even though she doesn't take insurance. As soon as we got in the car, I looked at J and said "So, we're doing this, right??" He agreed.

Now, I just have to have my files transferred to her office, and go on my merry way. I'm super excited that I'll be able to have a peaceful birth, in my own home, without the stress of doctors, nurses, IVs, machines, fluorescent lights and hospital smells.

I can't wait to meet our newest little girl!!!

Follow my home birth journey at Beyond Mountains
Comment by ashleylove920

Good for you, and totally worth the hassle!
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:36:25 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p