My Favorite Book: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss- Children Books Aren't Just For Children

maraia94
Maraia Cochran
November 5, 2012

My Favorite Book: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children Books Aren’t Just For Children

When I was a child, I could spend countless hours sitting and giggling at the extraordinary poetry of Dr. Seuss. I was always attracted to the odd ball names of the characters, and the funny events that took place in his books. I loved them all and made it my mission to collect as many of his books as possible. From The Cat and the Hat, to Green Eggs and Ham, my book shelf grew to a tremendous collection of child like humor inspired solely by Dr. Seuss. As my collection grew, so did I. After all the hard work I put in collecting these precious books, I decided I was way too old to still find them amusing. Secretly, they still were and probably always will be.

This past birthday, I was very excited to have received a present from my grandmother that was wrapped in pretty wrapping paper. As I quickly tore the paper off, I found my sense of an excited child again, that excitement grew into a beaming grin, as I realized what the gift was. My Grandma had gone out of her way to find a copy of Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham, my favorite of my past collection. To anyone else, this may have seemed extremely goofy, but to me, it was incredible. I am expecting a beautiful baby girl sometime in the next week, and have had my mind set for months on starting up a collection of Dr. Seuss’ wonderful stories yet again. How incredible to tell my daughter one day, that her first book she received from her beloved Great Grandma, was her Mommy’s favorite book as a child.

Each night I sit up and read Green Eggs and Ham to my little unborn baby girl. Some of the most incredible moments I have these days, are in the middle of my story reading, when I receive a cute little kick from my daughter. I know she’s listening when I read her these stories, and I cannot wait to have her old enough to understand the fascinating humor of Dr. Seuss. This will remain a favorite book of mine for the rest of my life, because it’s a reminder of not only my childhood, but my wonderful journey into motherhood. I know that my daughter is going to appreciate her building collection of Dr. Seuss books as much as I did when I was a child. Only this time, she will have a mother to remind her to never get rid of her collection. One day she is going to want to share these same moments lost in these childish books with my future grandchildren.

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p