Helpful Tips for Moving Household Appliances

Jenn Young
Jenn Young is a freelance writer working with Uncle Bob's. She is passionate about beautifying her home and she currently writes on anything and everything related to storage units
If you’re like the majority of people, when it comes to moving, you want to do as much as you can for yourself in order to save as much money as possible. Unless you’ve moved appliances before, keep in mind that there is more to preparing them than meets the eye. More is involved than just unhooking them from the wall and carting them to the moving truck. You’ll want to ensure that they are properly prepared and safely stored for the trek ahead, whether it is a jostle across town or across the country.
Safety First
If you feel unsure about handling water or gas lines, don’t hesitate to call in a professional. The money you’ll spend is worth the peace of mind. Make sure to call your local utility company two weeks ahead of your moving date about shutting off your utilities. Also plan on having the utilities available up until the day you move.
In addition to having your appliances clean and dried out before you move them, consider some specific appliances and tips that will ensure they make the move without incident.
Washer and Dryer Front load units require special handling. Consult your owner’s manual for the proper method of securing the drums. When you purchased your machine, it should have come with a locking kit consisting of transit bolts and washers for securing the drum. These prevent the drum from moving during transit. If the kit is missing, order a replacement set online that’s specific to your brand.
Even top load washers and dryers should have their drums stabilized for moving. If nothing else, place some towels between the drum and sides of the appliance wall.
Unscrew the water lines from the wall and the washer, drain them, wrap them in a towel and place them inside the washer tub. Storing them inside the tub guarantees you can find them easily when you arrive at your destination. Do the same for the dryer exhaust hose. Tape each appliance’s electrical cord to the back for security.
Refrigerator Make sure all food is cleaned out and the interior is dry. Defrost and leave the door open for 24 hours. Any moisture or leftover food particles could cause mildew or odors; an unwelcome surprise to find at your new home. Unhook, drain, and dry out the water supply line. Make sure to drain the water reservoir inside the refrigerator as well.
Remove any unsecured glass shelving, racks, and plastic parts and pack separately. Also clean and dry the evaporator pan located under the refrigerator.
Stove Now is a good time to wash any spills down the sides of the range. Unplug the cord and tape it securely to the back. Before unhooking a gas stove, shut off the gas valve at the wall. Secure any loose oven racks or burner grates.
Dishwasher Disconnect from the counter by removing the screws located at the top front of the dishwasher just under the counter. Shut off the water and electrical connections. Clean and dry the dishwasher thoroughly. Secure all hoses and cords for transport.
By taking your time and properly preparing and securing your appliances, you can help ensure the move to your new home is a success. In the event you will be storing some of your appliances temporarily in a storage facility, make sure to keep them covered and protected from dust.

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p