The Dreaded Healthy Soup

sheila.l.smith.7

For the third time in a week I poured out a generous serving of “the dreaded healthy soup” into a saucepan, sighing heavily. Since it had been my idea to make the soup in the first place, my husband and son reasoned, it should be me who has to eat it. So every three weeks or so I dig down to the far reaches of the freezer and extract yet another mason jar of the stuff.

The ingredients cost about forty dollars and required a special shopping trip. There are people starving in India. I can’t just throw good food away. So I don a pair of old but very respectable (because who wants to wear them in public) pink gloves, and start moving away all the vegetables and bread and pork chops, until at last I come to the remaining six(oh how can there still be this many?) jars of soup.

Now if you were standing at my shoulder, you would scold me: “For heavens sake Sheila, those jars are only half full. How can it be such a chore to eat that small quantity? How can it possibly take you three meals to get through half of a half jar?”
But you wouldn’t know the history of the dreaded healthy soup. You wouldn’t know how the original recipe was meant as a detox for your system, how one of the main ingredients is some form of seaweed, and how my hand slipped when I was putting in the cayenne pepper. You wouldn’t know, and now we get down to the crunch . . . how the dreaded healthy soup tastes. All two enormous soup pots of it.

I got the biggest mason jars I could find, and a funnel and a ladle and I put the soup out of sight, out of mind, into the freezer where I could ignore it, at least for a while. I think I am on the fourth jar at this point. I am an experienced dreaded healthy soup connoisseur by now. On about the second jar I discovered that adding a half teaspoon of salt and a can of tomatoes rendered the soup edible. Then with the next jar, I did the same thing and also put in a cup of frozen corn.

At this point we are at a place where anything left in the fridge is fair game. Cheese improves the taste substantially. A cup of last night’s Spanish rice is good too. The rice was too bland anyway and if there’s anything the dreaded healthy soup is NOT, considering all that cayenne pepper, that would be bland!

Unfortunately, by adding more and more ingredients, the soup does not shrink with each use as you would expect. It grows. It’s sort of a “loaves and fishes” effect. When you have eaten some and go to pour whatever remains in the pot back into the mason jar, you are generally horrified to discover the jar is full once more.
So after three meals of soup in the past week, more remains in the fridge, though I am trying not to look at it. Trying not to remember it is there. Thank heavens this last time the cat helped me eat it. We always said she would eat anything. Now we know it is true.

The best things for you always seem to be the ones pushed towards the back! But the benefits have to outwiegh...the taste?! Great story!

-Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 6:59:45 PM

Sorry I'm late to comment. I'm still getting settled after a move... As much as I'm a health nut and would like to join your cat and sample your soup, I'd probably better stick with chicken soup. Thank you for a wonderful welcome back to Stage of Life.
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:37:44 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p