Lint Trap

sheila.l.smith.7
Lint-Trap

Unlike the men in my household I am careful with laundry. I sort my washables into light and dark, and today the dark pile is bigger so that is what I load into the machine. Normally I check in case husband or son might have thrown a few light T-shirts or dark pants in, but it’s late in the day and I haven’t seen or heard anyone else near the machines all day. So it’s upend the hamper and into the depths drop jeans, corduruoys, favourite navy T-shirt, socks. . . all dark, all safe for this load of laundry. Should be done, and dried, and folded in no time.
An hour later I reach in and pull a pair of denim jeans up and out. Not quite sure what I am looking at. The texture is all wrong. Like someone threw handfuls of snow at the jeans, or sprinkled a box of soapflakes over them. But it would have to be multi-coloured snow, variegated soapflakes. Speckles of red and green and blue obscure much of the denim.
Right away I figure I have left a kleenex in the pocket of the jeans. I don’t stop to question where such a huge colourful kleenex might have come from, one big enough to cover a whole pair of pants. but I reach the conclusion from my only previous experience with “fluffy laundry”. I drop the jeans into the hamper and reach into the washing machine. Brown corduruoys. Well mostly brown. Sort of mottled. Techni-coloured fuzzy mottled.
Pulling faster I remove every piece of clothing from the machine. A dinner napkin I decide. A dinner napkin has been left in a pocket. One with lots of colours. But how big does a dinner napkin have to be to coat an entire load of laundry? When have we used red, blue and green dinner napkins, gigantic or not?
It’s cold outside and the snow is drifted to the kitchen door, but one by one I take the pieces and shake them out. The sun has not set so the results are quite spectacular. We are the owners of the most colourful snowdrift this side of the West Back Line. In fact, this could be the most colourful snowdrift in all of Grey Highlands. The doorstep is about half a cup short of being a papier-mache sculpture.
What has caused this mishap?A roadmap? A brochure? What is made of paper, has several colours and is small enough to get into the laundry yet big enough to cover the whole load in fuzz? And then I recall what I did just before the laundry. I gathered newspapers off the top shelf to bundle for re-cycling. What is made of paper, has several colours . . . and I have it! Grocery flyers, made of newsprint. Very colourful.
How I long for a Laundry 911. I imagine taking wet sponges to each piece of laundry and removing the lint that way. A good hour’s work I expect. Instead I throw it all in the dryer, wary of possible fire hazards.
It is dark long before I finish. I have emptied the lint trap six times. Could have made a rug out of this stuff. Does it expand when it dries? I congratulate myself on getting through the small household emergency and look forward to a peaceful evening.
I am sweeping up the remaining bits of paper from the kitchen floor when I hear the cat being sick on the basement stairs. Peaceful evening . . . hah! And much later, I tell Carl “I just wrote an essay about this.” He reaches a hand towards me: “Did you include the fuzz in your hair?”

Ahhh, the joys of laundry. I can't count the times that tissues, gum and the like found their way into the washer, but you got me with the colored flyer. OK, I did wash my Chemistry lab book once, but I was a student. That shouldn't count, right?

Loved your story. Welcome to the Stage of Life.
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:34:22 PM

Awesome essay! Gave me my chuckle for the night! Look forward to more colorful tales!
- Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:36:51 AM
Comment by sheila.l.smith.7

Hi Greg,
So glad you liked it. I have a couple of dozen unpublished ones floating around and don't feel much like an author anymore. I miss doing readings and hearing people laugh. So I really appreciate it whenever a reader of any of my work comments as you did. Thanks.
Sheila
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:05:58 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p