A Love Nest For Two

Miriam
As World War II ended, everything was scarce--apartments, automobiles, refrigerators and money. With luck, we found a place in an old house being renovated by a friend. Our $40 per month pied a terre was part of a rear, second floor addition, probably originally intended as a solarium.

At the top of a curved staircase was a long skinny hallway, just big enough for a sink and stove and a refrigerator we didn’t have. At the end of the hallway, on the left, was a multi-windowed room we filled with the maple kitchen set Uncle Charlie found at a wholesale price. On one wall was a boarded up door leading to the attic on which my artist husband did a pastel sketch of a rickety castle with a crooked chimney--a reminder of a future promise. We used to joke about someday being starving artists in an attic, and here we were, closer than we had imagined.

On the right of said hallway were three small areas designated as bedroom, living room and bathroom. The bedroom was snug with a double bed and one (small) nightstand. Since the house was near railroad tracks, our dreams were often synchronized with bells and whistles. Having lived in that neighborhood, I was used to the noise, but it gave my sweetie nightmares of bestial locomotives.

The living room was furnished with a couch, chair and desk, which was actually part of the bedroom set. Our decor was traditional hand-me-down, augmented by a 9x12 rug borrowed from Aunt Kate. On the wall was a fake oil painting of a girl seated at a grand piano. It must have been a standard wedding gift since many couples had one.

The bathroom was memorable with a 5 foot long, footed bathtub nestled under a slanted ceiling. My 6'2" husband managed to shrink himself into the tub by sticking his feet out the window, located at the foot of the tub. Standing was impossible so he solved the problem by showering in my mother's house a block away.

We also used space in her refrigerator until we got our own. One night, Uncle Charlie met a contractor friend in a bar and regaled him with our problems. The man sold us a small refrigerator he had purchased for his apartments. Not great, but an improvement over daily trips to pick up supplies.

If we had been as clever as the Obamas, we would have moved into Mom's three bedroom house. However, romance and common sense are mutually exclusive. We were young and wanted our VERY OWN PLACE.

I almost forgot. We shared our undersized space with a boarder. One morning, I discovered a half-chewed banana. When I was berating my husband for leaving such garbage, the peel began to move--a mouse!

Our landlady vehemently denied the presence of rodents until one fateful day. As we were chatting, she reached into the lower refrigerator drawer for a potato and came up screaming when she realized what she grabbed.

She was more than a bit frugal with the heat. When we complained that our gas cooking stove was a poor substitute for the house furnace, she suggested we go to bed. I had considered asking her for birth control advice until I realized that she and her husband had three small children, very closely spaced in age. Heat would have been cheaper.

A wonderful story.
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:06:06 PM

Simplicity. What has happened??!!
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:44:37 AM
Comment by Suzanne

Simply delightful to read on this Christmas Eve - simplicity, joy, love. Who could ask for more.
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 2:14:07 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p