The Key

KimParsells
Sixteen years ago, I was wearing prescription-strength rose colored glasses when I walked through the front door and knew that this house was going to be my home. Four bedrooms, three sets of stairs and a huge backyard... What single, 24 year old woman wouldn’t need this? SOLD!

I got the key, moved in and furnished one room. (Two, if you count the mattress on the floor in the bedroom.) All I had to do now was acquire things and people. I immediately became an avid yard-saler and married an alcoholic.

With the sense of shock reserved for young hopefuls, I was appalled when things started to get a little rough. The situation was not playing out as I had envisioned at all. Still, I stuck with the plan. In my deluded world, I was a mere two televisions, one baby and four pets away from happily ever after.

Imagine my complete devastation the day I gazed out over the huge backyard and realized that I was in charge of all of this - on my own.

How would the garbage get to the curb? Who would call their plumber/electrician friend when something broke? Those were the tiny questions. Would I be able to raise my daughter on my own? How could I have failed? Those were the terrifying questions I could not answer.

My rose colored glasses were smashed. I had a houseful of second hand junk, a lot of responsibility and no plan.

I wallowed in self pity and liquor for a while. Then, one day I got up and called a friend. We went to the dump. We made eight trips that day.

After six months, and several more trips to the dump, I got inspired and called another friend. We built a stage right in the living room. My daughter loves to perform and as ridiculous as it sounds that stage has become the heart of our home.

Just as things were getting better, I suffered another traumatic set-back. I burned down the kitchen. Having left hot grease unattended on the stove was indicative of someone who could not possibly get the garbage to the curb much less raise a child on her own. My budding confidence was destroyed.

The next two months were grueling and ultimately cumulated into one deeply embarrassing, crying, screaming fit in a tile store. It was a dark time, but in the end I had a new beautiful kitchen.

This new kitchen was too classy for my hodgepodge yard sale dishes, so I bought new elegant white ones. These dishes needed to be showed off, so I had a dinner party. It was a huge success.

Last year, I replaced the roof and redecorated my daughter’s room.

Next, I am going to do something about the linoleum floor in the bathroom that I “temporarily” painted black 10 years ago. The list is never ending and that’s okay. I’ve got new rose colored glasses and the key.

You got me with your prescription-strength, rose-colored glasses. Congratulations on your new prescription and on your success at being a mother and homeowner, and having the key to handling whatever comes next.
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 7:36:32 PM
Comment by KimParsells

Hi Warren,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Kim
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:18:41 PM

Quit a story! Got me to thinking of our own memory makers throughout homeownership! Despite it all, it is an adventure and like any good adventure, even the dark times stand for something in the end! Thanks for sharing and welcome to Stage Of Life.
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:21:45 AM
Comment by KimParsells

Hello DarkStar49 and thank you so much for the feedback.
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:58:38 PM
Comment by sheila.l.smith.7

I enjoyed your story. Your writing reminds me of a favourite author, Anne Lamott. Thanks for making me smile.
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:27:29 AM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p