Move in with my parents?

Bob
My parents want to turn the title of their house over to me and wife. They have a wonderful home AND it's paid off. The good news about this is that we could sell our house, keep the money and then live mortgage free in my parents home. There's one catch, and here's the bad news...my parents want to continue living there with us. They are both in their 70s and in good health but they foresee a time when they can't take care of themselves and would like some help verses having to move out of their home. So....thoughts? Words of wisdom? Advice? Warnings?
Comment by kbstandard@aol.com

It is a good idea but with catches, as you said. You would have to have rules, which is hard but necessary. Just my opinion.
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:14:52 PM
Comment by Somewhat Crunchy Mama

It sounds like a wonderful idea in theory, but could become complicated in time. As someone who has had a bit of a revolving door for wayward family members, let me tell you it's extremely difficult to live with family members no matter how much you love them.

You need to ask yourself some tough questions and answer them honestly.

1) Is being there for my parents the main motivation for the move?

2) Can I be there for my parents in the way they hope or expect (financially, physically, emotionally)? It sounds like they may be looking for someone to care for them, should they need it, rather than having to utilize a nursing home.

3) Do my wife, my parents and I have similar tastes, values and interests?

4) Can my wife and I manage the necessary chores to keep up the home; repairs, mowing, cleaning, cooking etc.?

If you can answer yes to the above, I'd say definitely make the move! If there are any nos, then examine your options. Should you decide to make the move I suggest you work out the intricacies first. For instance will you be guests in your parents home, or will they become guests in yours? Or will the house be considered mutual territory? Either way, it would most likely be best if you can each have your own space within the home. You could share areas like the kitchen but each have your own livingroom area...little things like that will make a big difference. If you all have your own space that you feel is just yours, where you don't have to worry about sharing the TV, can go a long way towards making the adjustment an easy one.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:40:41 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
There's a terrific amount of knwloegde in this article!
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:21:24 AM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p