Empty Nest

BobbiJoEisenreich
A sense of urgency has come over me since moving Whitney, our youngest child, to UW-Whitewater. I’m not sick or anything serious like that; I’m merely getting old. Think about it like a bell; the bottom edge of the bell represents my school years and the role of daughter, half way up the side represents dating and marriage and the role of wife, and the top of the bell represents the childrearing years, the role of mom. I’ve moved over to the opposite of the bell; I’m back to the role of wife. I hope to never experience the role of widow, although that is a possibility each and every day. The last stop is the bottom edge of the bell on the opposite side; death.

After sharing the analogy of my life as a bell with a friend, she rebuffed the analogy. She told me that statistics actually show life as a series of ups and downs; life after children at home is one of the ups. I could see myself as one of the statistics after I settle out of one routine and into a new routine.

Ted and I have started a list of things we’d like to do. I call it our “bucket list”. Often times the reference to a bucket list is used when someone with a life-threatening illness knows they are nearing the end of their journey. Their bucket list includes those things they’ve always wanted to do but couldn’t or didn’t do. Our bucket list will be used very differently; it’s a list of places to go and things to do on days we are stuck in a rut, sitting on the couch watching TV or working on our laptops.

It will be extremely important for Ted and me to enjoy the variety of attractions in the area while creating a new way of life. A new way of life; that phrase makes it sound like we’re changing our eating or exercise habits or one of us are no longer employed. I view the phrase “a new way of life” as living with most everything status quo; the only difference is our children no longer live with us on a full-time basis.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p