Marriage or Success?

Kwweesten
I didn’t realize turning 22 also meant graduating from college in May and possibly living on my own in the near future. Not to mention, I haven’t even begun to notice the time I’ve put into my relationship. Going on two years, this has become my first long-term relationship in four years of college. But with everything coming so soon, does that mean something else should be expected in the future as well?

It has been difficult for me to focus on graduating and seeing people my age getting engaged at the same time. It got me thinking, how many years should you be with someone until you even consider marriage? How old is old enough to take on a marriage? Have we completely forgotten about the old days when getting married and having babies at age 20 was acceptable? These questions have consumed my thinking time, leaving me to wonder what society expects from women nowadays.

I believe that ever since women were given an education, they were also given the opportunity to flourish in the work world, putting less focus on their romantic side of life. It isn’t because women began to resent men or marriage; they just fell in love with success instead. Throughout this country, you can see traditional women still having babies at a young age while other women are putting success first. But what I can’t understand is how society has turned the tables on thousands of marital opinions.

It has gone from, “you don’t need an education, you need to take care of your children” to “you don’t need a man, you need an education to take care of yourself.” Maybe this is why I have become so fearful of the years to come. Don’t get me wrong, I see myself being married to the man of my dreams, but I also see society shaming down on me for not becoming a successful woman first. Has it really turned from family and marriage into money and success?

With this new age, I’m moving towards a new stage in life – the possibility of marriage. I’ve seen friends become engaged during their senior year of college. I’ve seen other friends get hired at multi-million dollar companies. But I’ve rarely seen both at the same time.

The time I used to spend out with friends, I now spend in the library studying, knowing I’m already in a relationship – no need to keep looking. But what do you do when you approach a fork in the road that gives you two options in life? If you could only have one, which would you choose, success or love?

Let’s say you get both, the love and success. What happens when you get a promotion and need to make a decision or a sacrifice? Do you turn your marriage into a long-distance relationship or do you give up success for your love life? Even if the decision was easy, who’s to say society agrees with you. You need to factor in the opinions of those around you – family, friends, coworkers, etc. Will it be easy to say those opinions don’t matter and fully stick to what you believe in or will society slowly lay down the hammer and make it that much harder for you to follow your own heart?

The only thing I know for sure is that when the time comes, I don’t intend on letting society dictate my fork in the road.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p