Our Story: Volleyball, Friendship, & Answered Prayer

andreaeverhart
I’ve been married to my husband Josh for over two years now & I never tire of telling people “our story” – the way we met & our whirlwind romance leading us down the aisle. I blog at www.andreaeverhart.com if you’d like read more about our life together.

Josh & I grew up in the same small town in little ol’ Adams County, Pennsylvania, & we attended the same small rural school. (To give you a frame of reference, my graduating class consisted of 90 students.) Our paths crossed several times in high school – in Bible Club, through sports, & through mutual friends – but we never once noticed each other. I’m sure our 3-year age difference had something to do with it – he was a senior & I was a freshman at the time.

It wasn’t until eight years later – the summer after my college graduation – when we finally met. That summer, I signed up for a co-ed outdoor volleyball league to get some exercise while reconnecting with some old friends.

After a few weeks of playing ball on the sand courts, I noticed Josh on another team blocking every hit & killing every set. In layman’s terms, he was the best, most skillful player in the league, & I spent the next few weeks admiring him from a distance.

One mid-summer evening, my team had one too few players & Josh’s team had one too many. He was sitting on the sidelines when a teammate of mine called over to see if he’d like to play with our team for the night. He gladly accepted & I eagerly reached out my hand to introduce myself.

We played side-by-side &, together, we turned out to be an unstoppable force in the front row. After one play in particular, Josh looked up at me from his knees in the sand. We were caught in each other’s stare for what seemed like 10 minutes. If I ever experienced a love-at-first-sight kind of moment, that was it.

Our first lunch date went well over four hours. We talked about everything. There were no awkward moments – just smiles, laughter, & good conversation. We used every excuse to be together for the next few months – spending quality time traveling, playing sports, & attending church together.

Our 12-month courtship was a whirlwind, & it was hard not to take personally the criticism about our “sudden” engagement. But through it all, I never had a single doubt in my mind that Josh was the one God chose just for me. I know that because I prayed for him.

Just a few days before Josh stepped onto my volleyball court, I had prayed that God would place a Christian friend in my life. What I prayed for was a friend. And God gave me the friendship of a lifetime … bolstered by love.

Comment by Suzanne

Such an encouraging story of faith, hope and love. Two weeks ago I read "Just The Two of Us" by Alicia Blodgett who wrote about "praying for God to send a man into her life. She received an answer much like yours. The adventure that followed was truly amazing.

May your journey together be exciting, challenging and forever blessed.

Thanks for sharing your story. I will visit your blog soon.
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 2:26:05 PM
Comment by ElleoftheBall

Thanks for sharing your story! I look forward to reading more about your beautiful marriage.
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 2:09:09 AM

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p