Assumptions and Anxieties

sclin2
I don’t know about anyone else who has ever been married, but I can say that after going through nearly a year of preparations for my July 23rd wedding, many, many things have frightened me. Between gaining winter weight (how will the wedding dress fit?!) and finding shoes for my poor bridesmaids… fears have dominated my mind and have made me question every decision I’ve made thus far.

However, I’m happy to report that the one thing I have never questioned is the most important decision: marrying Chris. I love him, and he loves me. Nothing can get in the way of July 23rd making us husband and wife. Not the shoes, not the extra five pounds. What does honestly worry me… well, it actually has nothing to do with the planning we’ve worked tirelessly on.

I’m worried about assumptions.

I’m worried about guests sitting through the ceremony, watching us take our vows, and then thinking silently in their heads: “Yeah, however long this will last.”

The divorce rate is SO HIGH. I’ve been to so many weddings that have ended in divorce. Now, my worry does not stem from any nerves about my relationship with my fiancé. It’s that the strength of our relationship… our love for each other… seems so diminished in today’s society where divorce… and second marriages… are common. I worry about how society views marriage in this 21st century, and whether people will sit through our ceremony and take it seriously.

My fears are about people assuming things when they have no idea about our relationship. About what we’ve experienced together over the past five years. Yes, five. Not six months or a year, like many couples. FIVE YEARS. Long distance. Only seeing each other on the weekends. We’ve been engaged for over two years now. Finally, we are able to exchange vows before God and witnesses and marry ourselves to each other for the rest of eternity. Most couples don’t have to experience so little together when they’re so in love. For Chris and I, this wedding is much more than words. What we say doesn’t even matter, really. What matters is that we can finally become one, one marriage, and begin to live our lives like we should have been able to five years ago.

So, I guess I’m worried that people won’t understand how much this day means to both of us. You’re more than just a warm body filling a seat, you know. You’re taking part in helping us start our new life together, in creating a covenant that will last forever. So don’t sit there and think that “oh, they’ll be divorced in a couple years… just wait” because we won’t. We refuse. We will not take part in such impermanence, and such thoughts about us. Stop assuming, and start enjoying love and happiness between two people who can finally be together after eons of waiting. Be happy for us, and welcome us into the world of married life.

Hi, my name is Megan and I am Stage of Life's PR coordinator. I just wanted to let you know that we featured your article on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609

Thanks and keep up the great writing :)
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:30:50 PM
Comment by tmclancy

Sarah,
Nicely said (and great picture, too), and you can be sure that we are all supporting you. Yes, there will be family among your audience July 23 who have experienced divorce, and there will be married couples who have not! What we all have in common is our support for what you and Chris are doing! We were 15 months from first date to wedding day (age 26), which seemed reasonable at the time. But it's been the constant reminder of how our love began and the ineluctable shaving away of ego, just here, just there, now here again, and the patience that process brings that keeps us enjoying what we have built and what we are creating, even so many years later. I suppose your divorced relatives would say, well, there's life and happiness after that, too. That's a different struggle and victory. At the doorstep July 23, though, your and Chris' challenge is to let your love be free at last to completely guide your thoughts, words, and actions. It happens automatically, naturally.
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:06:43 AM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

November 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a food memory.  Tell us a personal story about a favorite food memory with your family, traditions built around food, a memorable experience from a restaurant, or other memorable moment centered around food.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p